As part of our Motivational Monday’s series; We are seeking inspiration from our wide client base of established business owners. This week we had a quick chat with John Chase of First Union Estate Agents.
John started First Union estate agents over 20 years ago with nothing but an idea and hunger to be his own boss. Now he has two offices in Wandsworth and Battersea. Has survived a recession. Has picked up 1 gold and 2 silver’s for the Estate Agent of the Year Awards (ESTAS). John is a very down to earth person, with a positive demeanor and great business acumen. We fired at John 10 quick questions that we think will help inspire any upcoming entrepreneurs.
- What would be the one piece of advice you would give to anyone starting up an estate agency now?
Enjoy the journey!
- What would you say is the most enjoyable part of owning your own business?
Freedom and flexibility! As well as having the ability to try new things or change things quickly if required!
- What was the hardest time you faced in your business and how did you overcome it?
The banking crisis in 2008! We reduced down to two offices from three and made about five employees redundant! It was tough but I don’t think we would have survived otherwise. I’m still in touch with three of the employees we made redundant.
- If you could go back to when you first started, what advice would you give yourself?
It won’t be as you expect it to be!
- What do you do to take your mind of the stresses of being a business owner?
I attend the gym at least twice a week and try to cycle at the weekend. I also have an amazing family that helps to take my stress away from the business!
- What would you say is the biggest challenge for any business owner?
Keeping up with technology and being “current”! Technology is moving forward very fast!
- We’ve spoken to you several times and find you to be very humble and down to earth, despite your growing success. Why would you say that is?
I believe you should always treat people as you expect them to treat you. Never take anything for granted and stay true to yourself! My parents did a great job eh?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Two possibilities! I could still be here running First Union (something I still absolutely enjoy even after 21 years!) or I could be on a beach somewhere with Emma, my wonderful wife, after selling First Union!
- What 3 words would your work colleagues use to describe you best?
Reliable, Honest! & Charismatic!
- What 3 words would your family use to describe you best?
Caring! Funny! Strict! Not necessarily in that order!
We thank John for his time! We’ll be back next Monday with another motivational Monday’s post.
If you feel you can add something to help inspire up and coming business owners do drop us a line: firstname.lastname@example.org